I took Carol to the Neurology Doc this morning for a scheduled visit. We spent about an hour discussing her condition. While the doc was optimistic about the success of long term seizure management, he conceded that we will likely never really know the cause of the initial onset of seizures. And consequently, there may not be a cure that would eliminate further seizures. At this point, however, the good news is that the seizure medicine is working as it is supposed and Carol's condition has been stabilized.
The doc performed some additional tests designed to rule out an escalation of her seizure condition, more for our peace of mind than anything else. We should get those results in a week or two. Further tests may be necessary in 6 months if there is any recurrence of seizure activity. Additionally, if there are no further episodes, he would consider reducing her medicine. At this point, we are in a wait-and-see mode, maintaining her present course of medicine.
There are several factors that could contribute to additional seizures. Sleep deprivation and stress are the two most critical factors in lowering the seizure threshold. Additionally, any attack on the immune system (flu, virus, common cold, etc.) could have a negative impact on her condition. So we are trying to be careful as a family to keep Carol healthy and rested! She is permitted to drive locally but not for long distances or on highways. She is happy to be able to get out on her own.
It has been just over 8 months since her first series of seizures. I truly believe that all the prayers we have received have significantly contributed to her recovery. Our family is blessed to have so many folks caring for us. I will keep everyone posted on our progress!